Powered by Blogger.

Ah-HA! Moment

So it is summer break! I am supposed to be relaxing and not being a teacher. Right? Well, I had an Ah-Ha! Moment. I am a addict. I don't drink or smoke.

But I am addicted to teaching!

The summers seem to be the worst. Our house looks like a classroom exploded inside of the dining room. There are stacks of binders and paper and pencils and PD books and kid's books. I am sure my family would like to eat dinner at the table sometime this summer but....true to addictive behavior, I turn nasty when they suggest cleaning it off. My favorite reply, "I will be finished tomorrow!", that day has not come in 6 summers until the school carpets are clean and I am allowed to move my mess back to the classroom.

To be a teacher is to be a hoarder, another horrible addiction, but you must have a large bag o' tricks if you are to teach well. You never know what kind of challenge you will face. I am a resource hoarder. I am very cleaver at my hoarding. I no longer purchase books, I upload them. I have a large library that I can carry in my pocket and no one is the wiser. I am slowly replacing paper books with E-books and passing the paper on to some other poor teaching addict. I was witness to the worst teacher hording issues I have ever seen when Listy Listerstine moved out of her classroom last week. Holy Guacamole, Batman! That girl had some stuff. It was funny to watch all the other hoarders in the building salivating as she passed out paper and pencils and markers! Yes, I was in line and will miss that girl dearly. I will miss her because she has been my classroom neighbor for quite a few years and because now I think I may be the worst hoarding case on our team!

Another thing that I decided this morning was that blogs are connecting me with other teaching addicts. They continue, even over the summer, to blog and create for their classroom. I have uploaded and downloaded so many files of creativity in the past few days. I have purchased things from TpT and followed so many blogs that I can't even remember the names any more. It is amazing! I have found my niche, my place in the world.
My name is Christa. I am a teacher ... and I am an addict!

2 comments:

Unknown June 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/blog/decluttering-starts-now?utm_source=CC&utm_medium=enotice&utm_campaign=June2011

Ashleigh July 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM  

I totally and completely understand! I am a fellow addict! Isn't great to love your job :)

Post a Comment

  © Little Life Coaches

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates