Powered by Blogger.

Doughnuts with sprinkles!

So, we started our writer's workshop today. I am not ashamed to admit that I am not the strongest writing teacher. My kids make gains and goals but when asked where I need improvement, I have always said "writing". Which is why I am taking the Professional Development class with the Art of Teaching Writing by Lucy Calkin.

We took a quick tour of our writer's note book and all the tools we have available. I purchased a notebook pack from Mrs. Patton's Patch. This is an amazing kit and since I have never taught like Lucy, I needed something to get me started off on the right foot.

The kids were very excited! It is my philosophy that when things look nice, the students seem to take better care of them. I printed everything in color, purchased 1 inch binders and created a cute cover. Anyway, we started with circle maps. My circle map was about an airplane that I saw on the way to school. I am writing and one little cutie raises his hand and says, "Mrs. England, it looks like a doughnut." Well, my goodness, it does look like a doughnut. Hmmm? I keep writing my thoughts around the circle. Another little cutie raises her hand and says, "Look the details are like the sprinkles on the doughnut!" I literally got goosebumps! They are so smart and they will tell you what they need and how to teach them, you just have to listen and be open. We will officially have "Doughnut Maps" during writing...the clouds are starting to part, I think I saw a small slice of sunshine today. Maybe this will be a good year after all!

2 comments:

Mrs. Patton September 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM  

How precious! So glad you are enjoying the Writing Notebook Pack!

Unknown April 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM  

That's the work of the "inner game" - the floor under the floor. It's where the real work gets done, and it's where I earn my living as a life coach. find out about self development

Post a Comment

  © Little Life Coaches

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates